CDL X Endorsement Study Guide and Tips to Score high
Commercial drivers have wide opportunities to develop their careers through CDL Endorsements. If you are interested in driving a tank vehicle that is used to carry any flammable liquids or gas, this is essential for you to obtain the Tanker and Hazmat endorsement, which call the CDL X Endorsement. Hence, this article will help readers dig deep into this CDL endorsement type by the CDL X Endorsement Study Guide.
1. What is CDL X Endorsement?
In general, CDL X Endorsement is one of 6 CDL Endorsements types, which is the combination of CDL HazMat (N endorsement) and CDL Tanker (X Endorsement). It seems understandable because a Tanker usually transports and carries hazardous materials, thus owning the combo CDL endorsement is a must for Tank drivers. However, because this is a combination endorsement, the process to obtain is a little bit more complicated than other endorsements. Let’s move to the second part to know how to get an X endorsement.
2. What is the process of getting a CDL X Endorsement?
Step 1: Submit the application
- Call 1-800-777-0133 between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. to schedule a skill test appointment.
- Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays, as well as Wednesdays from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., except holidays.
- Bring the vehicle(s) you will be driving for the class.
- The skills exam must be passed. Road testing, basic control skills tests, and vehicle inspection are all included. If you fail any section of the skills test, you will have to retake it. You only have three chances to pass the skills exam. Each time you retake the skills exam, you must pay a retest charge.
In the following cases, the skills test requirement may be waived:
- You currently hold a valid CDL from another state, or your CDL has been expired for less than two years. You must forfeit that license or (proof thereof).
- Check that the license has the same classification, endorsements, and limits as the one you’re seeking for.
- If you have military driving experience, please submit a completed Commercial Military Waiver (DL 965) (PDF).
Step 2: Complete all appropriate law tests
Generally, in order to obtain an X endorsement, you must pass the Tanker endorsement Knowledge Test and Hazmat Knowledge Test. Besides, the TSA Background check is a must for drivers. You may need to read the CDL Tanker Endorsement Study Guide as well as the CDL Hazmat Endorsement Study Guide to understand clearly what you will be tested. Averagely, it takes you between 2 and 6 weeks to complete your background check.
Step 3: Submit a medical form
You must provide a CDL Self-certification Form that examines by a certified medical examiner in order to prove that you are qualified for this X endorsement. For instance, this is a medical form to illustrate.
Step 4: Submit your fingerprints
To prove your identity, you will be required to get your fingerprints.
Step 5: Pay the fee
The cost of CDL X Endorsement varies among states. The total cost of obtaining a CDL Hazmat endorsement is about $100. The TSA screening is $86.50, and certain states may charge additional fees to take the exam and renew your CDL-A license. If you drive more than 2,500 miles each week, you’ll recoup your investment in 2-4 weeks. That depends on how much more money you get.
Step 6: Submit other required information
To be qualified to apply for a CDL with the X endorsement, you must meet the following rules:
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Must have a valid US passport or residency status
- Must first renounce the previous state and apply for a new one in this state
- Must first apply for and get a valid CDL before applying for the X endorsement
- Must pass the vision test
- Carry documentation such as your date of birth, place of birth, evidence of legal presence, and Social Security number
- Must submit the application forms and apply for the written test if you are applying for the first time
3. What are some helpful tips to get the CDL X Endorsement effectively?
3.1. Read the CDL Manual Book
If you obtain these 2 endorsements once at a time, it will be abundant knowledge you must study for. Get a copy of your state CDL Manual, then open sections 8 and 9 to study for those endorsements. If you don’t have a CDL yet, your task now is to study for the CDL Test as well. Our suggestion for you is to read the CDL Study Guide, an ideal way to help you pass the CDL Test successfully.
3.2. Know the topics well
Understand and concentrate on the specific areas in which you will be examined. Do not read the information for endorsements for which you do not intend to apply. You will save time and energy as a result of this.
3.3. Focus on your weak areas
You will learn which subjects you are most educated about and which ones you struggle with during your preparation. After you’ve finished the rest, try to spend more time studying those topics. Knowing and understanding your shortcomings is essential for overcoming them, as they have a high potential of hindering your performance.
3.4. Build up an appropriate study plan
Make a flexible study plan and stick to it. When you’re not feeling well or having trouble staying awake, don’t force yourself to study. Believe me, you will not recall as much information as you should. Determine the best study approach for you and stick with it to the end.
3.5. Stay positive
Approach your exam with optimism and confidence. Do not dwell on it too much since it will simply agitate your nerves and make you uneasy. You’ve worked hard to prepare, and now it’s time to show them what you’ve got!
3.6. Take the practice test
Reading the book may let you sleepy and can not stay focused on what you’ve just read. Thus, a new study method is born to help you increase your learning attitude. With numerous questions that are organized into topics, you can easily find Hazmat and Tanker easily and start your learning journey with CDL Practice Test.
4. What are FAQs of CDL X Endorsement that you should know?
4.1. How many times can I fail the CDL X endorsement?
If you fail the first time, you are not permitted to repeat the tests within 3 days after the first attempt. You may only take it 6 times a year. If you fail on your sixth attempt, you won’t be allowed to take the 7 times until twelve months have elapsed since your first failure. This policy is one of the reasons why it is essential to study for exams.
4.2. How many questions on CDL X endorsement?
The CDL X endorsement consists of two knowledge assessments, one for tank vehicles and the other for hazardous items. You must answer 20 tanker-related questions and 30 hazardous-materials-related questions. To pass, you must score 80% on each knowledge exam. The test will consist of multiple choice and true or false questions.
4.3. What type of CDL Class do I need for a CDL X endorsement?
A Class A CDL is required for an X endorsement since this form of CDL allows you to operate a commercial motor vehicle weighing 26,001 pounds or greater (CMV). This CMV is designed to transport hazardous commodities or products, as well as more than 16 people. The Class A CDL allows the driver to operate a CMV with a tractor weight of more than 26,001 pounds and trailer(s) weight of more than 10,000 pounds, making it ideal for transporting loads of heavy hazardous garbage.
4.4. Which CDL Endorsement is the best?
The endorsement list you should get:
- Hazardous Materials Endorsement (HAZMAT)
- School Bus/Passenger Endorsement.
- Doubles/Triples Endorsement.
- Tanker Endorsement.
- Air Brake Endorsement.
Above is the vital information of the CDL X Endorsement for truckers who want to drive a tanker truck that hauls Hazmat material. If you are interested in this type of commercial vehicle, apply one now to get an X on your CDL. Score high with our CDL Practice test!