CDL Endorsements Florida – What You Should Know to Obtain a CDL Endorsement
To be able to drive a commercial vehicle in Florida, you must be licensed with the CDL (commercial driver’s license). CDL also includes a class designation, an endorsement, and any restrictions. Every state has its own system for licensing drivers based on those three variables, but some requirements are the same. Let’s see what CDL Endorsements Florida includes.
1. CDL Florida Endorsements, Restrictions
In Florida, there are 3 basic endorsements available for the commercial learner’s permit, which are endorsements P, S, and N endorsements.
P endorsement – Passenger Vehicle
A Florida license holder with a “P” endorsement is not permitted to operate certain vehicles designed to carry and transport passengers. Only federal auditors, state inspectors, and test examiners would be permitted.
S endorsement – School Bus
A Florida license holder with an “S” endorsement is not permitted to drive or operate a school bus that carries and transports students. Only federal auditors, state inspectors, and test examiners would be admitted.
N endorsement – Tank Vehicle
A Florida licensee with an “N” endorsement may only drive and operate an empty tank vehicle. Driving any tank truck that has previously confined HazMats (hazardous materials) or polluted tanks is thus banned.
Besides, there are 3 more endorsements that you can get after receiving your license, which are:
- T endorsement – Florida CDL Doubles-Triples (Knowledge test only)
- H endorsement – Florida CDL Hazardous Materials (Knowledge test only)
- X endorsement – Florida Class C CDL Tank Vehicles (Knowledge test only)
L – If the driver fails the Air Brakes Knowledge Test, fails to correctly identify the air brake system components, fails to properly conduct an air brake systems check, or fails to take the Skills test in a vehicle equipped with a full air brake system, an “L” no full air brake restriction is imposed on their license.
Z – If the driver performs the test in a vehicle equipped with an air-over hydraulic braking system, a “Z” no complete air brake limitation will be placed on their license. The driver is not permitted to operate a CMV equipped with complete air brakes in any circumstance.
E – If the driver takes the Skills Test in a vehicle with an automatic gearbox, they will receive an “E” with no manual transmission limitation on their license.
O – If a driver takes the Skills Test in a Class A vehicle with a pintle hook or other non-fifth wheel connection, an “O” restriction will be imposed on their license, preventing them from driving any Class A vehicle with a fifth wheel connection.
M – If a driver has a Class A CDL but obtains a passenger or school bus endorsement in a Class B vehicle, the state must impose an “M” restriction indicating that the driver can only operate Class B and C passenger vehicles or school buses.
N – If a driver has a Class B CDL but earns a passenger or school bus endorsement in a Class C vehicle, the state must impose an “N” limitation stating that the driver can only operate Class C passenger vehicles or school buses.
V – If the FMCSA notifies the state that a medical variance has been issued to the driver, the state must indicate the existence of such a medical variance on the CDLIS driving record and the CDL document by using the restriction code “V” to indicate that information about the medical variance is on the CDLIS record.
2. How to obtain CDL Endorsements Florida?
In order to apply the CDL Endorsements Florida, you must complete 2 steps process. Which are medical testing in the FMCSA and applying for the commercial license in the Florida office.
2.1. Medical testing
According to federal regulations, all commercial drivers must have a copy of their Medical Examiner’s Certificate. Also known as Medical Card Self-Certification, it helps verify that drivers are safe and that they meet all of the FMCSA’s physical criteria (Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration).
License holders can meet the new requirements without having to visit the driver’s license office using this authentication system.
This report is referred to as self-certification since the applicant choose which certification class his or her personal driving information belongs into.
First and foremost, drivers must complete the commercial driver’s license self-certification form.
All drivers who want or hold a commercial driver’s license that is up for upgrading, transfer, or renewal must also have a self-certification.
- Interstate Non-Excepted: authorized to conduct interstate commerce. In addition to completing the standards of 49 CFR Part 391 for obtaining a medical examiner’s certificate.
- Interstate Excepted: authorized to conduct interstate trade. It is not required to possess a Federal DOT medical card (Department of Transportation).
- Non-Excepted Intrastate: exclusively used in intrastate commerce. To obtain a medical certification, you must first complete the standards for driving qualification.
- Excepted Intrastate: designated in intrastate trade and you do not need to get the DOT’s medical card criteria.
2.2. CDL license apply
Florida CDL endorsements provide specific authority to drive other cars more extensively. However, before you can obtain them, you must first ensure that you can satisfy the fundamental prerequisite, which is a specialized written test.
Most of the time, the written knowledge test consists of a 20-item multiple-choice or true/false test, with a passing score of at least 80%. (equivalent to 16 items). The exam items may differ for more demanding Florida CDL endorsements.
CDL Class A: The typical number of items is 70. This consisted of a 50-item general knowledge test and a 20-item vehicle skills test.
CDL Class B: The normal item number for this class is 50 questions, with skill
CDL Class C: The normal item number for this class is 50 questions, with skill tests necessary for specialized vehicles such as buses and air-braked trucks.
P endorsement: With this kind, the normal item number is 20 questions with skill assessments necessary for buses.
S endorsement: The normal item number for this category is 25, with skill tests necessary for school buses.
T endorsement: The typical item number for this kind is 20, and no further skill tests are required.
N endorsement: The normal item number for this kind is 20 questions with no additional skill assessments.
H endorsement: The normal item number for this kind is 30 questions that do not require any further skill assessments.
3. CDL Endorsements Florida Location and testing time
Regardless of the licensing class, everyone in Florida who applies for a Commercial Driver’s License must be able to complete and pass the necessarily written knowledge exam.
For each class, the state of Florida provides a variety of written and real examinations. You can visit the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles website to see which exam is assigned to you.
- FL CDL Passenger Vehicle Test – Test locations are at the Department of Highway & Motor Vehicles (DMV) Offices
- FL CDL Air Brakes Test – Test locations are at the Department of Highway & Motor Vehicles (DMV) Offices
- FL CDL Combination Vehicles Test – Test locations are at the Department of Highway & Motor Vehicles (DMV) Offices
- FL CDL Doubles and Triples Test – Test locations are at the Department of Highway & Motor Vehicles (DMV) Offices
- FL CDL Tank Vehicle Test – Test locations are at the Department of Highway & Motor Vehicles (DMV) Offices
- FL CDL HazMat (Hazardous Materials) Vehicle Test – Test locations are at the Department of Highway & Motor Vehicles (DMV) Offices
- FL CDL School Bus Test – Test locations are at the Department of Highway & Motor Vehicles (DMV) Offices
- FL Free CDL Practice Test – Test locations are at the Department of Highway & Motor Vehicles (DMV) Offices
That’s all the information of CDL Endorsements Florida that any driver with the desire to obtain a CDL endorsement must know before taking it. We hope you find it helpful for you and your application process. Don’t forget to take the CDL Florida Practice test to obtain the CDL endorsement easily!